Ideas on living a joyful life (and a scripture to support each tip)
In the busyness of our lives today, take time to put into place as many of these 20 tips as possible. It’s a given that when you do, your days can only be better and you will find that soon you will be living a joyful life.
Affiliate links may be used in this post. If you click on one and make a purchase, I may receive a small percentage at no extra cost to you. Read my full disclosure policy here.
- Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes every day.
The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still. ~Exodus 14:14
- Walk, stretch, or do some kind of physical activity every day to take care of your body.
Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. ~1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- Get enough rest.
There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience. ~Hebrews 4:9-11
- Spend time with the elderly. You will learn from them.
Stand up in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the Lord. ~Leviticus 19:32
- Sing, whistle, or listen to music.
Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord ~Ephesians 5:19
- Dream while you’re awake.
Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. ~Psalm 37:4
- Eat more whole foods and less processed junk. This book made a huge difference for me and my husband – The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom
Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. ~Genesis 1:29
- Spread joy. Try to make at least 2 other people smile every day.
Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing. ~1 Thessalonians 5:11
- Choose an area of your home or your car, set a timer for 5 minutes, and focus on decluttering the area. A 5 minute block of time each day can make a huge difference.
But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way. ~1 Corinthians 14:40
- Laugh. It’ll feel so good!
Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them. ~Psalm 126:2
- See each person as God’s beautiful creation.
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. ~Ephesians 2:10
- While our expectations aren’t always His plan, always remember that God heals every situation and answers every prayer.
Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. ~Matthew 7:7
- Live life with perspective: will what you’re going through matter next month? next year? in 5 years?
So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. ~2 Corinthians 4:18
- Forgive those who do you wrong. It only hurts you when you don’t.
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. ~Ephesians 4:32
- Agree to disagree. You don’t have to always be right.
Brothers and sisters, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against a brother or sister or judges them speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. ~James 4:11
- Always remember your blessings. No matter how bad it can get, you are blessed.
Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him. ~James 1:12
- Apologize when you need to.
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. ~James 5:16
- However good or bad a situation, it will change.
There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens ~Ecclesiastes 3:1
- Stay in touch with your family and your friends.
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. ~John 15:12-13
- Take responsibility for yourself – your actions, your health, your happiness.
Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone,without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load. ~Galatians 6:5
Each day, put these tips into practice, study the verses, and live fully knowing JOY.