After I began studying the Bible daily, I realized quickly how badly I needed a glossary to help me through. I know that many of you just beginning your studies may feel the same way. As a long time public school teacher, I decided to implement a strategy I teach my students. When I came across a word I didn’t know, I wrote it down. After I had a list of 5 words, I took a break from my lessons and looked up the words to define them. I did this multiple times until I had my own glossary that I could refer to when needed.
I’m sharing with you the 30 Top Bible Study Terms I found most helpful. Read them here or download a free copy by clicking here.
Bible Study Terms
1. Epistles – letters in the New Testament which were written by apostles
2. Angels – God’s messengers that live with Him in heaven
3. Sin – any act or thought that is against the way God wants us to be and separates us from Him
4. Atonement – a way to make up for a wrong act; a covering of sin
5. Curse – God’s judgment on something evil
6. Tempt – try to get someone to do something wrong
7. Bless – to ask divine care or protection for; to make successful or happy
8. Bondage – slavery
9. Plague – anything that causes many people to suffer
10. Passover – a feast in memory of God’s deliverance of the Israelites from Egypt
11. Unleavened – refers to bread (flatbread) made without yeast so it doesn’t rise
12. Idol – a statue or image of a god that is made by people and then worshiped as if it had the powers of God in a person’s life; anything or anyone we worship instead of the one true God
13. Sabbath – A weekly day of rest and worship set apart by God
14. Pharisees – the religious leaders in Israel at the time of Christ; most of them opposed Jesus and arranged his execution
15. Sadducees – a member of a Jewish sect or party of the time of Jesus Christ that denied the resurrection of the dead, the existence of spirits, and the obligation of oral tradition, emphasizing acceptance of the written Law alone.
16. The Gospel – The “good news” about Jesus
17. Parables – short stories with moral lessons; Jesus used them to teach about the Kingdom of God
18. Samaritan – a half-Jew, hated by full-blooded Jews
19. Gentiles – people who are not Jews; people that do not know God
20. Salvation – the state of being free from sin and restored to friendship with God
21. Crucify – to kill by nailing to a wooden cross
22. Resurrection – the bodily rising of Jesus from the dead, as he had foretold, on the third day after his death on the cross and burial in the tomb; because of this, Christians have the hope of also rising from the dead when Jesus returns
23. Apostle – one of the followers of Jesus who preached and spread his teachings
24. The Church – the people of God; the “body of Christ;” the “bride of Christ;” the gathering of God’s people (and in common usage, the place where they gather)
25. Soul – the mind, will, and emotions of a human being
26. Holy Spirit – God’s Spirit that Jesus sent to help people
27. Eternal – lasting forever; no beginning and no end
28. Kingdom of God – God’s reign over everything and everyone
29. Sanhedrin – the supreme council of the Jewish people in the time of Christ and earlier.
30. Disciple – a follower of Jesus
I’m always looking to add terms to my list. Please share with me any you think would be helpful to others. Write them in the comment section below or email me.