THE BEST BIBLE VERSES ABOUT FRIENDSHIP
In this post, I’m sharing my favorite Bible verses about friendship. When putting together the free women’s retreat theme, Where Friends Gather, the many scriptures about friendship intrigued me. I shared a few of them in the theme post and put together even more for the Where Friends Gather upgrade bundle (will be ready soon), but reading about friendship in the Bible was so uplifting, I wanted to share even more here. You can get a PDF copy to download and print HERE or by using the link at the end of the post.
Some people have many friends and some, like me, have a few close friends and many acquaintances. Whichever way you are, I’m sure you value to love and joy from your friendships (and your acquaintances). Be sure to print this list of verses or grab the bundle (coming soon) to get the same verses on scripture prayer cards.
From early childhood through high school, I had two ‘main’ best friends. Both were daughters of my parents’ friends, so we began playing together from the time we toddled around.
Unfortunately, these two of my best friends hated each other. Now, I know hate is a strong word, but in this case, I’m sorry to say, it’s true.
Both had strong, dominant personalities. They were leaders who hadn’t learned yet how to share leadership roles. I was shy and lacked self-confidence which is why I felt drawn to them. Because they couldn’t get along, we never did all hang out together.
To this day, I’ve stayed in touch with them and kept up with the highlights of their adult lives. When we have reunions, they get along now that they have matured. In the every day, they lead different lives.
One is an artist and the other an accountant. As I write that, I find it telling…how different their personalities must be to choose and thrive in such different careers!
As children, I loved spending time with both of them. They taught me adventure and carried me along with them for school activities, dances, and so on. There were other friends throughout childhood, but these two were my ‘best’.
At 16, I met the friend who I would consider my closest ever. It was this friend who taught me to find my worth in Christ and showed me that I was worthy of all that is good.
In the early days of my blog, I wrote about him frequently. This blog was one way I expressed my journey through grief after he died. It’s been just over 15 years now. Hard to believe! I still think about him almost every day; I suppose we do that with those who have touched us so deeply.
Now, when I think of him, though, I’m no longer sad. Instead, I’m thankful for the friendship we shared and the lessons he taught me about Jesus.
And I’m thankful to the Lord for helping me through those difficult times and showing me through the Holy Spirit that my love for God and determination to share that love with others has given me my purpose and passion through Loving Christ Ministries.
Yes, friends impact us dearly. I love to read these scriptures about friendship, and I’m excited to share them with you.
Bible Verses about Friendship
1. Proverbs 27:9 Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of a friend springs from their heartfelt advice.
2. Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.
3. Job 29:4-6 Oh, for the days when I was in my prime, when God’s intimate friendship blessed my house.
4. Proverbs 15:22 Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed.
5. Philippians 2:4 Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.
6. 1 Thessalonians 5:11 Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
7. Proverbs 12:26 A righteous man is cautious in friendship, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.
8. John 15:13 Greater Love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
9. Romans 12:15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.
10. Proverbs 18:24 A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
11. 1 Corinthians 15:33 Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.”
12. Job 16:20-21 My intercessor is my friend as my eyes pour out tears to God; on behalf of a man he pleads with God as one pleads for a friend.
13. 2 Kings 2:2 Elijah said to Elisha, “Stay here; the LORD has sent me to Bethel.” But Elisha said, “As surely as the LORD lives and as you live, I will not leave you.” So they went down to Bethel.
14. Luke 6:31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
15. Proverbs 18:24 One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
16. Colossians 3:12-14 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
17. Psalm 133:1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
18. Proverbs 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
19. Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
20. 1 Peter 4:10 As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
Don’t forget to check out the corresponding women’s retreat theme, Where Friends Gather, to find more resources about friendship.