These 10 songs all go along with the New Beginnings retreat theme that you will find here on the blog. You can also check out 20 Scriptures for New Beginnings to find supplemental verses to use at your retreat.
When I think back through my life, I can pinpoint each new beginning. Obviously, first days of school, learning to ride a bike, getting a driver’s license, etc. all count as new beginnings.
Beyond those mostly typical (but no less exciting) beginnings, there were also spiritual new beginnings such as with the birth of each of my children, the death of my best friend, and the start of the Loving Christ website.
Related Post: 101 Retreat Themes for Christian Women’s Retreats
I count the start of this website as a spiritual new beginning because for so many years I lived the life I was supposed to. I chose a career my family expected me to, and I let fear keep me from following a path I dreamed about.
New beginnings, especially those that deeply effect our spirit can be so emotional. That’s why it was so important to me to choose the perfect music for the New Beginnings retreat theme.
Music touches our emotions as well. I know that as each of you considers your own new beginning, the emotion overwhelms you. How perfect to have compatible music to go along with those emotions.
For the New Beginnings retreat theme, I chose love songs that are upbeat and exciting and also songs that cause your heart to swell as you take in the magnitude of what it means to love Jesus and to be loved by Him.
The Emotional Power of Music in Worship
Music has a unique way of bypassing our intellectual filters to tap directly into our souls.
A well-chosen worship song can evoke a range of emotions — from joy and gratitude to reflection and even catharsis. It’s not just about the song; it’s about the collective experience of sharing that song within a community.
The right song can elevate a simple gathering into a deeply spiritual experience, uniting everyone in purpose and sentiment.
When everyone sings together or even just listens, feeling those chords and lyrics, it’s as if the community is sharing one heart and one voice.
Criteria for Choosing the Songs
So, what makes a worship song about new beginnings resonate so well? I kept a few key factors in mind:
- Lyrics that Inspire or Empower: Words are potent. The right lyrics can serve as a catalyst for spiritual awakening or recommitment, especially when they align with the concept of new beginnings.
- Musical Composition that Complements the Worship Setting: The melody, the tempo, the instruments — they all come together to either enhance or detract from the worship environment. The right composition can turn a song into an anthem for renewal.
- Popularity within Christian Communities: While popularity isn’t a perfect measure of a song’s spiritual value, a song that is widely embraced often speaks to universal feelings and experiences, making it a valuable addition to any worship setting.
Keep these criteria in mind as you explore the list, and perhaps you’ll find your next go-to song for ushering in a season of spiritual renewal.
These are my 10 favorite worship songs for New Beginnings:
- Brief Background: This song comes from Hillsong Worship, a contemporary Christian music group from Australia, known for their powerful and emotive worship music.
- Key Lyrics and Their Meaning: “Who the Son sets free, oh is free indeed; I’m a child of God, yes I am.” These lyrics speak to the liberation and identity that come from a relationship with Christ.
- How it Aligns with New Beginnings: The song emphasizes our new identity in Christ, which is a central element to the theme of starting anew in one’s faith journey.
- Brief Background: Ryan Stevenson is a Christian musician from Oregon who’s been active since the early 2000s.
- Key Lyrics and Their Meaning: “In the eye of the storm, You remain in control.” These words reassure us that even when life is chaotic, God is our constant.
- How it Aligns with New Beginnings: It serves as a reminder that every ending or challenge is a new beginning with God at the helm.
- Brief Background: Jamie Grace is an American contemporary Christian musician, singer, rapper, and songwriter.
- Key Lyrics and Their Meaning: “Wake up and smile cause it’s been a while.” This lyric captures the essence of embracing a new day with positivity.
- How it Aligns with New Beginnings: The song focuses on seizing the day and finding joy in each new opportunity, making it a perfect song for new starts.
- Brief Background: Another hit from Hillsong Worship, this song is often associated with baptisms and moments of deep spiritual commitment.
- Key Lyrics and Their Meaning: “I will rise, I will rise, as Christ was raised to life.” This lyric symbolizes resurrection and renewal.
- How it Aligns with New Beginnings: The song is often used to signify the act of baptism, a ritualistic symbol of a new beginning in Christian life.
- Brief Background: Chris Tomlin is one of the most popular contemporary Christian music artists of our time.
- Key Lyrics and Their Meaning: “I will rise when He calls my name.” This speaks to the ultimate new beginning—eternal life.
- How it Aligns with New Beginnings: It reminds us of the eternal life promised to us, which is the ultimate new beginning.
- Brief Background: Mercy Me is an American contemporary Christian music band founded in 1994.
- Key Lyrics and Their Meaning: “You’re the One who conquers giants; You’re the One who calls out kings.” These lyrics acknowledge God’s omnipotence.
- How it Aligns with New Beginnings: It refocuses our attention on who God is, allowing us to approach new chapters in life with courage.
- Brief Background: Jeremy Camp is an American contemporary Christian music singer and songwriter.
- Key Lyrics and Their Meaning: “Hope is here; shout the news to everyone.” This is a call to share the Good News.
- How it Aligns with New Beginnings: The song’s message is about the salvation that Jesus offers, presenting the ultimate new beginning.
- Brief Background: Casting Crowns is a contemporary Christian rock band.
- Key Lyrics and Their Meaning: “We were made to be courageous.” This is a call to action for Christians to stand up for their faith.
- How it Aligns with New Beginnings: It encourages listeners to take bold steps in faith, which often involves embracing new beginnings.
- Brief Background: Jesus Culture is a global movement, awakening hearts to worship and demonstrate the love and power of God.
- Key Lyrics and Their Meaning: “Your love never fails, it never gives up, it never runs out on me.” This speaks to God’s unwavering love.
- How it Aligns with New Beginnings: The consistent love of God is the stable foundation upon which any new beginning can be built.
- Brief Background: David Crowder Band was a six-piece Christian rock and modern worship band from Waco, Texas.
- Key Lyrics and Their Meaning: “He is jealous for me, Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree.” This lyric paints a vivid picture of God’s passionate love for us.
- How it Aligns with New Beginnings: The intense love described in the song gives us the confidence to embark on new beginnings, knowing we are loved and supported.
Ways to share these worship songs about New Beginnings at your retreat:
-Have a music leader who plays an instrument and sings, leading the ladies throughout.
-Play CDs or an MP3 Playlist and let the ladies sing along
-If you have a laptop and projector, display the lyrics (Be careful about copyright. Most churches have access to worship songs legally so go through proper channels.) on a screen or the wall and sing along
-Provide printed lyrics and sing a capella
Whether you use these songs or others, please take special care when choosing your music. Worship songs that bring hope will fit perfectly with the New Beginnings themed retreat.
Without music, our retreats would not be the same, would they? I’m so thankful for the gift of music!
New beginnings are a foundational concept in Christian faith. The idea of rebirth and renewal is woven throughout the scriptures. From the transformation of Saul to Paul in the New Testament to the concept of being “born again” in Christ, new beginnings are heralded as moments of divine grace and growth.
Biblical References to New Beginnings
- Isaiah 43:19: “See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?”
- 2 Corinthians 5:17: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!”
- Lamentations 3:22-23: “Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning.”
These passages remind us that each day is an opportunity to start anew in our relationship with God.
Personal Anecdotes or Testimonies
I’ve heard countless stories of individuals who felt lost but found a new purpose through their faith.
Whether it’s someone turning their life around after a personal crisis or a newfound commitment to Christ, the common thread is the experience of a new beginning guided by faith.
One testimony that stands out is of a woman who, after years of feeling disconnected from her community and God, found her way back through the simple act of singing in her church choir.
Music became her bridge to a new beginning in her spiritual journey.
I encourage you to delve into these songs, maybe even include them in your next retreat, worship session, or during your personal time with God.
Each has the potential to inspire a fresh start, lift your spirits, and deepen your faith.
Music is a divine gift that allows us to connect with God, so let these songs guide you as you navigate the new beginnings in your journey.